NEWS

If you are not able to read the content of this blog ,send your mail address to seakeyare@gmail.com .This is a blog with more than 1 million views.Heading for 2 million viewership !. .GUIDANCE TO NEW READERS...IF YOU ARE VIEWING THIS ON A MOBILE PHONE ,CLICK THE WEB VERSION AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MENU FOR BETTER VIEWING,.....To read notes on a particular topic ,type the word(s) in the seach page window on the LHS OR GO TO THE INDEXED BLOG http://plustwoenglishkasargod.blogspot.in/..THE LINK IS AVAILABLE ON THE RHS.Happy blogging to all.PLS SEND YOUR ARTICLES TO seakeyare@gmail.com...... CKR

Thursday, January 26, 2017

HOW TO DEAL WITH SLOW LEARNERS ?

 How to teach  the  slow learners (in higher secondary)  English  ?


           When one of my colleagues raised this question,silence was the major response from the teachers who had gathered there from the different parts of the educational district as part of a cluster meeting of the higher secondary teachers on 25/01/2017.
         Perhaps most of the teachers chose to keep quiet as they might have thought the question out of context.We were discussing the new education policy that is being introduced in Kerala from 2016-2021.During the discussion I was pointing out that there are problems in our English classes which should be discussed in the clusters.One such problem is the presence of many students who are slow learners .Students who have no basics of the language and who can't learn in a usual class room .I cited an example of a student who told me after my class that he was so upset with his predicament during my class that he had always been waiting for the class to be over anyhow !
 I requested the group to discuss how we might address this issue.It was then one of the senior  teachers pointed out that the problem is that we , English teachers are not using English in our classrooms and then how can we expect the students to grasp the language.Then she  invited me to speak how I had been dealing with them !

My reply was that one thing I had been trying is that  I would  give the slow learners a chance to respond to a learning challenge providing multiple choices -three or four-  instead of asking a direct question in the class.

When the student comes out with -at least- a part of the sentence, I will accept it or modify it as the situation demanded.

Then  I told the meeting that there could  be other techniques which I would like to hear from my friends.

Then Vinayarajan master came out with suggestion of equipping the teachers with IT skills so that they would be able to teach effectively in a high tech class.Thus the discussion digressed to  the topic of  smart classrooms  , the need for teachers to undergo training in handling the required equipments and planning for such IT enabled classes.

The question I put forward remains unanswered.Hence the discussion continues..........

How can we make  the slow  learners feel interested in an English class ?.Please join in the discussion.

Send your suggestions or comments to seakeyare@gmail.com


No comments: